Alicia's New England Hiking and Day Trips

Alicia's New England Hiking and Day Trips

Monday, June 20, 2011

Poet's Seat Tower in Greenfield, MA

 Built in 1912

Coming across this tower was a total accident, and a great one at that. Jay and I were coming home from Yankee Candle Factory in Deerfield, MA and decided to take back roads to see what we could find.
Along the way we also found this used book shop called, "The Raven" which I plan to visit when we go on the many trails that surround this tower.

It's a Raven. I'm a girl. I have to love it.

 As we drove through this town, we started to notice that there were random trails poking out of the forest and opening up next to the main road. The parking lot for it is small, but you can drive your car up the paved part of the trail you don't feel like actually walking up to the tower. The tower is about .8 miles up the road and all along the way up there are benches tucked a bit behind some of the bushes and trees. Great place if you come upon an inspirational piece or idea to write about. 

"You know, I really wish I had a bench right now to allow me to sit and ponder like a poet... OH HEY!"





My favorite is the bench at the top though.



I was not prepared for hiking at all (which I have learned my lesson and sneakers will forever be in my car) and only had flip flops on. To see the tower you don't need to be ready to climb a mountain, and I lucked out. 

The Poet's Seat Tower was built in 1912 in homage to the local poet Fredrick Goddard Tuckerman. I've never heard of the guy before I researched this place. The location itself was referred to as the "Poet's Seat" by Tuckerman before the tower was ever built. I actually might research this poet further because he apparently loved to make Herbariums

 Going Up! Had to keep telling myself I needed to see the top.

 3rd Floor

 This is just from the second floor.

If you are wondering what the tower itself is made out of, it's sandstone. Along some of the window arches we noticed on the right side of the second level as we went up that there were stalactites forming. Jay and I conversed with this other tourist about them and wondered how they were forming on this tower. Once I found out this place was made of sandstone, I understood how the water was getting in and why they could form. 

 Loving this breeze!

Each level of tower has a view of the town below and the mountains that is breathtaking. The architecture has a Gothic look to it, and is hollow other than the iron spiral staircase. The scenery is anything but hollow. I don't even think my own photos could capture everything. 


Lush and Green. Happy Trees.

Check out that view

I love that mansion right in the center closest to the mountains

Best part about this tower is the privacy. You have enough time to hear someone come up the steps of the final spiral staircase.... so if you are looking for alone time with someone... you have enough time ;) The top of the tower is covered in a lot of graffiti but there are some spots where I wouldn't find unromantic.

Poet's Seat Tower is going to be a place I'm looking forward to returning to with sneakers and owning the crap out of the trails around it. I will be sure to share those with you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment