Alicia's New England Hiking and Day Trips

Alicia's New England Hiking and Day Trips

Monday, June 20, 2011

Tully Trail and Royalston Falls Part 1


Tully Trail is normally a 22 mile loop hike (trail map here), but on this past Sunday we kind of were just there to see The Royalston Falls. This is just one of three that I know of so far (Doanes, Spirit, and Royalston) and all located in Royalston, MA.
The falls for the Tully Trail is about .8 miles in, but apparently I just found out we actually got lost and didn't even find the real falls. I'm kind of glad because I thought what we found was dinky and disappointing.

 Sad Face

The Tully trail starts off going mostly downhill with the occasional hills. The real work out is coming back because it is all uphill. It gets pretty muddy in some places and there are wood blocks you have to jump on to get across. Bring bug spray. You will need it.

I got really excited when we reach the split in the trail and found a shelter. I have never seen one before, but I knew that there would be ones to expect every 8 miles on the Appalachian Trail. Not what I expected; better actually.

 Spider Free on the Bunks Since 8/23/10 :)

Man made bridges are found as well, but the real treasure of this trail is off the trail path. Take a chance and go down to the stream that rushes towards the falls. The rock formations and animal life is worth the adventure alone. There was one rock that was my absolute favorite that I named the Dino Egg:
Photo Compliments of Jay and His Brave Ability to Jump Down onto the Rocks

During this picture, Jay was jumping into that little cradle in the rock formation. There is a beaver dam a little ways down from this rock... I know this cause I dropped our water and it floated into it. Video to follow soon of Jay's heroic efforts getting our water supply back. While he was exploring the different view.. I was battling the bugs...

Please Make Them Stop...

Jay and I are going back this upcoming weekend and doing the entire 22 mile hike and staying over in the cabin. I'll have better pictures and a further opinion on the trail itself. I feel I can't give a completely accurate opinion on the trail right now, but I will say I'm excited to go back and explore.
If not for the trail, there is also a really old cemetery located at the entrance of the trail. It's visible from the parking area and it's worth checking out the graves. There is one grave in particular that stands out from the others. It's of a man named Wheeler who fought during the Revolutionary War and died at a old age long after the war at age 69.

History Fan Orgasm
Beautiful artwork
I'm crazy about gravestone carvings and their symbolism. I'll research this in my book I have on this kind of artwork and let you know any info I get from my research. 

Check out Tully Trail and the other trails with the other falls though. I do not think you will be disappointed. Part two to come! Happy Hiking!


No comments:

Post a Comment