Alicia's New England Hiking and Day Trips

Alicia's New England Hiking and Day Trips

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Yankee Candle Factory in Deerfield, MA



As I had mentioned in the last post, my main trip before finding Poet's Seat Tower was Yankee Candle Factory. It is on 63 North in Deerfield, MA. I had never been to this place before, and I had been holding off on buying the candles I wanted at a regular retail shop. So worth it. The prices are much more affordable.


When I first saw the building itself I thought it looked like a Christmas Tree Shop... but more like three full ones put together. They even have an employee fitness center right next to the factory. Now note, this is not the actual factory where you will see conveyer belts (that is down the street from it on 63N). The company ships all their products to this huge store that looks more like something you would see in Epcot. Each room is themed and they go all out... I was preoccupied when I first walked in...




I'm a woman who is a sucker for sweets and food in general... this is the first thing I ran to. I didn't buy anything but dear god.. LOOK AT THESE!!!

OM NOM NOM!

 Jay and I agreed this looked like a heart attack waiting to happen.

I was really surprised to see they sold not only food but dishes and really cool colored pasta. Different rubs for meats and delicious dipping oils are in fancy glass bottles. The prices are not unreasonable either considering you are buying from the main outlet.  Collectables are a really popular thing that you will find scattered throughout Yankee Candle. I've already made a list of everything I want to buy for my dream home... I might need to get a better paying job to get all of this...

 One of the first rooms we entered was a forest/Christmas theme. There is nothing like a hot day that makes you think, "Gee... I really love Christmas and winter stuff. I can't wait for Christmas!" Though talk to me around December and I'll be cursing Jack Frost and all of Mother Nature's cold shoulders. Maybe if I bought this bear he would keep me warm.

IT"S GONNA BE A BEAR!

 One of my favorite rooms was the Narnia looking Christmas room. Love history? Love armories? Love Christmas? Fairies? BAM! You will love this section the most. They had a revolving Christmas tree that went to the ceiling and mini rooms that connected to the master room. Nothing is held back and the details they put into this shop is memorable. Shadows in the windows of a rocking old woman, streams under a bridge and Koi fish in the pond under the twinkling stars above you. Check these out.

 You can sort of make out the huge revolving tree.


Presents on hanging conveyor belt.

In the toy factory room, a guy was dressed up as Santa. I have come to realize I have an irrational fear of people who dress up as mythical people. I don't know if it is because I know it's just a man under the beard being paid hourly, or if it's cause I have this deep seeded fear of people who are supposed to know if I was naughty or nice. I grew up in a Catholic family, so guilt and pleasure are kinda close together. I guess Santa falls under the many people who I don't want to know the naughty things I do. I mean... it's a jolly fat man with rosy cheeks who knows everything I do...Don't look at me that way! You know it is creepy deep down!

He looks so good with armor :)
 
Fun fact about Jay. He used to work at renaissance fairs and practiced fencing for many years. When he fenced he fenced dirty too. Headbutting or attacking your opponent with the hilt of the sword were all fair game. I've always wanted to see him fence, but he did this before I met him. He looks good with armor though. That handle of the shield was not easy to pick up cause it was more meant for hanging on your wall then using in a fight.

 I want that and that and that...

I have been considering taking blacksmithing courses in Waltham, MA. I wouldn't be making armor, but it's something I've always wanted to try. It takes years and years to master sword making and to make one well made sword can take an artisan about a year to finish. Unlike medieval times, artisans do the work that maybe four or five people would do. So when you see a sword that is made by one person that is high quality, you should be impressed.

We used to go every September or October to King Richard's Faire and dress up. That was the best part, dressing up I mean. It's custom to buy a turkey leg bigger than half my face and a large flask of mead to wash it down. The Mud Show is a classic. To see these thrones in Yankee Candle just made me think Jay and I need to pimp out our future home as partly this style. We already decided we need to make a spiral staircase that leads to no where but will have hanging plants going up the railing.

 I need to go to King Richard's Faire soon. I'm getting too comfortable.

The waterfall that was next to this Koi pond was lit up under the fake stars. I really just wanted to stay in this one room and relax on the stone seats. The Koi were fake, but Jay convinced me for awhile that one moved. Jerk.

 Koi!

That Wicked Witch Doll was wicked tall

 Huge fan of miniature villages. I told Jay we need one of these.

I wish I got a better picture of some of these but the photos just don't do these little villages justice. I have a great Uncle who has half of his basement with these little winter villages on long tables. His has a train that weaves throughout it, but these were more meant to show off the tiny buildings. See that diner? Must have. I'm a sucker for diners.

There was a wall where you could post your letters to Santa. 
One of the many classic ones up there. 

The door of this opens... 80 dollars. 
I could not convince myself as to why I needed it. Love it though.
 

Looks like one of my favorite characters, Brienne
from George R.R Martin's  "Song of Ice and Fire "
  
When I saw this statue I thought of the people who have statues of Mother Mary or other religious icons. This is more my style. Not religious, but it could very well be Joan of Arc. It carries a lot of my personality within it. The feeling of curvy beauty  but with masculine features; an ugly grace. I want to go back and buy it at some point to put in my next place. Just a touch of fantasy feel without really nerding out. Or is that nerding out by having it? Whatever. I want.

Homemade Soaps 
 
This place isn't just for adults. There are a lot of rooms dedicated to kid's toys and activites. Yankee Candle has a activity area called "Wax Works" where you can make your own scented candles. It's sort of like the "Jelly Belly" idea where you take their main flavors and mix to get this new flavor.If you need some ideas or you aren't very creative, that's ok. Yankee Candle was kind enough to give you scent you can get when you mix different scents (they call them flavors). It's a great activity to do with your kids or even just to do for yourself.


There is a candle called "King Candle" stands in the same room. I don't think they will ever light it, but it's amazing to see in person. I'm sure it's probably close to my height (I'm 5'6").


I have this deep love for the "American Dream" and the idealistic visions of apple pies,house wife, fire works, classic cars, and grilling. There was a section that was getting ready for the Fourth of July. The candle called "Freedom" smells like fresh air. I almost bought it. Instead, I bought a candle called "Country Lemonade". My room, even when it isn't lit, smells of fresh lemons. I love it.
 
 
Penny Candy in jars are scattered in this area and there is even a spiffed up car near one of the many check out lines. I didn't even wait in line to pay for my Green tea soap,candle, and canned raspberry preserves.
 
 If you love this car you are going to love one
of my upcoming posts.
 
If it's a beautiful day when you go, sit outside and listen to the relaxing oldies they play while you look at their colorful array of hanging plants; plenty of seats to go around.Getting hungry? If you head up the street on 63 North there is a Monarch Butterfly Conservatory called Magic Wings. Next to it is a great restaurant that has a small but delicious menu.Doesn't matter if you love a burger or want one of their veggie wraps (Avocado, lettuce,tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers with pesto put in a choice of three different flavor wraps...can you tell I ordered that?). Prices are very reasonable and the the staff is pleasant and quick with orders. After eating you can go see the butterflies for twelve dollars per Adult,or hit up the farmer's market across the street.

 
So I hope you make it to Deerfield, MA one day and check out these cool places. It's a great day trip for very little money other than gas expenses depending on where you live. Go explore!

No comments:

Post a Comment