Alicia's New England Hiking and Day Trips

Alicia's New England Hiking and Day Trips

Monday, July 4, 2011

Alan E. Rich Environmental Park - Athol MA

Picked Miller's River Trail Loop. What will you pick?

The perfect accident. Jay and I were driving through Athol when Jay says he thought he saw a park.


"No, I think that's just someone's backyard."


"I'm pretty sure it was a park. Let me back up." He turned around and we drove past the bridge with the river, a house with people hanging out in lawn chairs, and there is was.



Woot! Year I graduated high school!


An Environmental Park was tucked away in next to a couple of Maple trees and a dirt driveway revealed a couple of parked cars next to the park's billboard. We took a spot next to the other cars and ventured over to the tall cork and wood frame with info. In the right corner a Log Book waited to be opened and explored. Past visitors wrote about what animals they saw and what they liked most.


Dear Mr. Rich... awesome log book. Thanks a ton!

It was created by Alan E. Rich, a selectman of fourteen years in the town of Athol, and was a way to express his love of nature for the community to share. He did an amazing job. It's a short hike through the woods and wetlands, but barely any bugs seem to bother you. It is two short trails around the park, but you can take any side and connect with the other direction.


There are places along the river where you can cast off your canoe and take a ride down the river. No rough currents here, and it slowly pulls you away from visible local houses. I will have to come back with a kayak or a canoe and see where the river takes me. For the time, I just admired the way the sun shimmered down upon it.


Complete accident that I got this great shot... I mean... Yeah I meant to do that. *puts hipster glasses on*

The trail ends up leading you to this field of wildflowers and butterflies. There was a photographer there trying to catch photos of the butterflies, but they all seemed to be hanging out further down the trail. I hope he got some great shots. 

I hoped if I turned around fast enough I'd catch a gnome or woodland spirit running by

I felt like I should be in a white lace country dress running through the wildflowers and watching the birds flutter in and out of the tall grass. I watched a little too much Little House on the Prairie as a kid. You love it. Don't lie.


I love capturing churches like this in this kind of setting


It's a peaceful place if you want a quick walk with no real sweat involved. A lot of different birds were flying around too. Grab a bird watching book and a pair of binoculars and see how many types you can identify. I've been saving this notebook I received from my friend Chrissy to use as a sketch/ bird journal. I used to be in a bird watching club in Jr high but they stopped it the same year it started. The only trip we went on to bird watch as a group was Plum Island which I also suggest visiting at some point.


Every time I tried to take a photo of birds and butterflies... they were gone. Enjoy nonetheless :)



My attempt of capturing a bird on film... I'm better off at just admiring them in the moment 






If you are curious as to what plants you are seeing along the way or even the trees, on the billboard at the front of the park has all the different names and descriptions of them. The trees in particular are labeled in some areas with their English and Latin names. I'm pretty sure if you have a question about a type of plant you can leave a question in the park log book as well. They seem to take most of the answers and programs that involve the park and post them up there.


Tons of cute bumble bees around and the flowers are lovely


The labels remind me I'm allergic to this ^.^



See the list of plants in the lower left corner? It's updated frequently it seems.

There are also benches scattered throughout the front portion of the park right before the actual trails. Great place for a picnic or just sitting to read a book. Awesome find though, and I hope you check it out soon!

Trying to snag a photo of my love by ducking down. Nope. Fail.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so. The part about Mr Rich is not correct, but it does memorialize his long service to town. The park and the Meadow are a herculean effort of a small group of people reestablishing native plantings in an urban setting... You made the effort worth it

    ReplyDelete